It’s no secret that the coronavirus (COVID-10) has become a global conversation, but what most don’t know is that there are several lifestyle and supplemental things you can do to boost your body’s natural immune system to help prevent against any virus.
- There were 82,294 confirmed cases of COVID-19 as of February 27, 2020, and 95% of them were in China. The global death toll of the virus is 2,804.
- 46 different countries have confirmed cases. Aside from China, the top countries affected include Italy, Japan, Korea, and Iran.
- The World Health Organization has appointed 15 COVID-19 labs around the world, including countries such as the United States, France, Russia, and others.
There are basic lifestyle measures that anyone can do to protect and prevent against the spreading of any virus. Washing your hands frequently and thoroughly is the first and most effective lifestyle element you can implement. You also should ideally maintain distance (up to three feet) from anyone who is coughing or sneezing. The third thing would be to ensure surfaces are clean and disinfected as it is believed that viruses can live on surfaces up to 48 hours.
Natural and Supplemental Support
In addition to the lifestyle prevention measures above, implementing immune-boosting natural plants into your daily routine may be beneficial as well. Keep in mind that these plant-based natural ingredients should not be used to replace personal hygiene and you should seek immediate medical help if you experience any symptoms.
- Whole Food Vitamin C: whole food vitamin c, such amla fruit found in Immune IQ can boost your body’s immune defenses as vitamin c plays a critical role in immune function. The effects of vitamin c on COVID-19 have not been studied directly, however there has been research that has shown that getting enough vitamin c in your diet could help decrease symptoms and shorten the duration of respiratory infections.
- Elderberry: Although the impact of elderberry against the coronavirus has not been studied yet, an analysis in 2019 concluded that elderberry could also help treat upper respiratory symptoms. In addition, one study out of Israel found that taking elderberry syrup four times daily for five days significantly shortened the duration of the flu compared to a placebo.
Additional Immune Boosting Herbs
- Moringa: Called “plant of the year” in 2008 by the National Institute of Health, to date moringa has over 1,300 studies, articles and reports that find it contains compounds that are important in parts of the world where disease outbreak and nutritional deficiencies are common. Studies have shown that moringa is packed with phytochemicals, protein, vitamin A, and potassium. Moringa contains a rare and unique combination of disease-preventing phytonutrients, including flavonoids, glucosides, glucosinolates, zeatin, quercetin, beta-sitosterol, caffeoylquinic acid and kaempferol.
- Astragalus: As a powerful antiviral herb, astragalus has been used in traditional Chinese medicine for centuries, and its main use is to boost our body’s immune system. Scientific studies have shown that astragalus has antiviral properties and stimulates the body’s immune system, suggesting that it may help prevent the common cold and flu.
- Garlic: Experiments have shown that specific chemical compounds found in garlic are highly effective at killing many microorganisms that are responsible for many infections due to its antiviral properties.
- Ginger: As one of the most commonly used dietary condiments in the world, ginger’s health benefits are largely due to its antioxidants, anti-inflammatory, and its therapeutic compounds- gingerol, shogaol, paradol and zingerone.
- Oregano: Part of the mint family, oregano has immune supportive properties and is believed to enhance respiratory function.
A Lifestyle Approach to Immune Health
While it is clear that there needs to be continued research done on the coronavirus there are lifestyle and supplemental things that you can do daily to help boost your body’s immune system as discussed above.
The above supplemental plants referenced above can be found in our Immune IQ and used to help boost your body’s natural immune system. The plants used in the formula are organic to ensure quality and potency and most are in 4:1 extracts, meaning 1 gram of our extracts were obtained from 10 grams of the dry plant part.
Be sure to adhere to proper hygiene and immediately consult your medical professional should you experience any symptoms as the above is only supplemental information and support.